Monday, February 14, 2011

Good For the Heart: Bergevin Lane She-Devil Syrah - 2007

This morning I've been pondering what Walla Walla wine would be perfect to blog about this Valentine's Day. I kept tickling through my mental notes about all of the wines I have recently tasted. I wanted to blog about a wine, that not only had an alluring and romantic name, but a wine that was red, feminine, and was so fine it didn't need to be paired with food.

Syrah is a red wine I typically do not reach out to for my daily "heart medicine." It's not that I don't enjoy Syrah, I just usually prefer it paired with food because of its intense smokiness and spicy qualities - - until I tasted Bergevin Lane She-Devil Syrah - 2007. This dark inky wine doesn't need food to tame it. She-Devil has all of the character of Syrah with it's smoke and spice, but like its name, it is smooth and elegant, yet still beguiling. Bergevin Lane She-Devil will demand all of your attention, so food just gets in the way (unless of course, it is a piece of chocolate).

The 2007 vintage was a cooler year than the previous and over all the fewer heat units brought about wines that were more elegant, yet with fresher characteristics. 73% Stone Tree Vineyard at Wahluke Slope and 27% Francisca’s Vineyard in Walla Walla brought to this dark red a concentrated wine with structure and layers. This 100% Syrah brings a velvet mouth feel with dominant juicy ripe berry flavors and finishes with cocoa and espresso. Tannins are present at the end reminding you that She-Devil has a lot of potential to still be tamed.

Bergevin Lane has always been known, and in fact one of the leaders in the valley, for their Syrah. Something tells me that She-Devil is a wine that will be given plenty of attention, will spin out of control and magically disappear out the BLV door.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...