Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2010: Walla Walla Wines & The Blogger

Fellow Scotsman and Poet, Bobby Burns said it best:

Shid ald akwentans bee firgot,
an nivir brocht ti mynd?
Shid ald akwentans bee firgot,
an ald lang syn?

Huh?

First of all, let me tell you about the Who, What, Where and When of this blog. Oh yeah, even as we are surrounded with the best of technology, when I get introduced as “the blogger” I still get looks as if I am standing naked with three heads on my shoulder. And of course, it is the heads of: Marilyn Monroe, Marilyn Manson and Charles Manson. Then I am often asked, “What is a blogger?”

Well, if you are really curious what a blogger is, show up at the Marcus Whitman Hotel during the weekend of June 25, 2010 and you will see over 250+ of us from all over the United States and other parts of the world! Yeah, it took a lot of sweet-talking, escalating tears and tantrums, and threats of Voodoo induced cork tainted wine, but the Third Annual North American Wine Bloggers Conference has been taken out of Napa/Sonoma and placed in Walla Walla!

As I look back at this blog, I realize that 2010 will also mark the 5th Anniversary of “Through The Walla Walla Grape Vine.” Who knew when I first started my little online journal, I would still be here. I am now one of those “old-timers” who can actually say, “I remember when I was one of the first 300 wine bloggers many years, ago.” And yes, the world of wine blogging has grown. It has grown so much that we, without really trying, made traditional wine writers a little nervous and made them rethink wine journalism. The wise journalists took on the attitude of, “If we can’t beat 'em, join 'em," while others chose to express “sour grapes” by calling us names. Oh and we were called names by the best of the professionals, too. We were called “Blobbers” and my all time favorite name, which I still can’t help from giggling when I hear it, “bitter, carping gadflies.” Ahhh yes. Good times.

How often can my readers expect to hear from me? No less than four times a month, but hopefully more - - and when I am really on a roll, sometimes twice a week! Who and what do I blog about? Walla Walla and her wines - - and often, it is my view on the subject and not a reprint of the news.

Recently, the subject of how I review wines was brought up. Nope, I am not a fan of using points and QPR numbers (Quality per Ratio). I feel numbers are limiting. How do you sum up a wine to one number and especially if the wine has been given the deathly number of all - - 89! And wonder if I gave a wine a high number and a fellow blogger gave it a low number (or vice-versa). With that kind of confusion, you might decide not to even taste the wine.

What I hope to bring to my readers is the best features of the wine and most of all, the experience behind the wine. My palate is different than yours and of course, wines are subjective. So, my feelings are if I at least share the experience with you, no matter if the wine I discussed was difficult to find or unobtainable, you will still try another varietal and vintage from that winery. Or even at best - - any wine produced in the Walla Walla Valley.


I have been asked, "How come you haven't blogged about ABC or XYZ Cellars, yet?" My standard answer is this: "There are so many wineries and wines in Walla Walla and there is only one of me."

To all of the wineries in Walla Walla County: I love you all!


I wish I could write and blog all day long, but unfortunately it doesn't pay the bills. I work a full-time 8:30 - 5:00 office job during the day and I blog and do freelance wine writing in the evenings and weekends. Which means, my weekends are full just trying to catch-up with - - well - - "life."

Sometimes I need a little help and the best motivation is for a winery to invite me to a tasting. Also, if you have an experience or news going on at your winery, let me know (unfortunately, it is difficult for me to always post weekly events as I don't keep a calendar on the blog).
So really - shoot me an email. I would love to talk with you about your wines.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.


C~

3 comments:

denise said...

Yes Catie - there is only ONE of you and that's a good thing! You are unique and original and a true champion of Walla Walla. Man, we are lucky to have you. So, here's to a great new year and to all the wonderful new wines (and old) that you will come across in 2010 and blog about - or not! I for one am just happy to know that you are out there doing your thing, whenever you carve out the time to do it. Cheers!

Sean P. Sullivan said...

Catie, Happy New Year! here's to another five years.

wild walla walla wine woman said...

Hi Denise and Sean,
Many thanks to the both of you for the kind words. Happy New year for us all!
Cheers,
C~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...