Tuesday, February 07, 2006

$150 Malbecs!

It seems as if Paul Hobbs of Sebastopol produces a $150 Malbec from the Mendoza region of Argentina. That's right, $150!!! I sure hope Walla Walla doesn't get any $150 ideas. Is Hobbs 2003 Vina Cobos Cobos Marchiori Vineyard Mendoza Malbec worth the price?

Malbec. I love Malbec. It's such a unique grape when compared to it's other Bordeaux cousins. Malbec often shows a deep bramble berry and rich plum notes. Very fruit forward, meaty and yet soft and velvety tannins. I have picked up some every-day-drinking yummy Argentinian Malbecs priced point from $2.99 to $7.99. With labor costs and land prices so low in Argentina, how can this wine be so expensive? I hope this isn't a ruse for this winery to put their wine on the map by pricing it so high. I cannot believe that this is where the Argentina Malbec market should be.

Malbec is being grown and produced in the Walla Walla Valley. Seven Hills Winery produces a Malbec wine and Pepperbridge, Minnick Hills, and Spofford Station are some of the vineyards that grows Malbec at this time. Several other wineries in the Walla Walla Valley use Malbec for blending.

Something tells me that I may never get to try the $150 Malbec unless somebody wants to share. Anybody?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...